The 32-year-old from Novara is the protagonist of the UAE Warriors 45: he beat Ali AlQaisi in the first round and is now waiting for a call…
Will Walter Cogliandro be the new Italian in the UFC? It is being discussed on social media, not only in Italy, after the Novara athlete knocked out Ali AlQaisi, four-time champion of the Emirates Promotion and former UFC fighter, in the first round (2 games played) at the UAE Warriors 45 on Tuesday has 2 defeats on points, one with a non-unanimous verdict), but especially after the UFC’s own social networks celebrated his success in a game in which our compatriot was considered a clear outsider. To understand the reason for the huge hype, it must be said that UAE Warriors is a promotion that has a close relationship with the UFC. His events are broadcast around the world on the Fight Pass platform and his matches are followed by scouts from Dana White’s promotion. The same show where Cogliandro fought took place three days before UFC 294 in Abu Dhabi.
In the evening
Stars from the world’s top promotions were also present on the octagon during the evening: There was Alexander Volkanovski, who will be the protagonist in the main event of UFC 294 against Islam Makhachev and who wanted to personally congratulate Walter. There was Paulo Costa, who took a selfie with Cogliandro and told him: “You deserve the UFC.” Cogliandro confirmed that he had already been in contact with the American organization twice in the past.
Cogliandro turned 32 on November 27th and is nicknamed “the ripper”. Next month he will also celebrate 12 years as an MMA practitioner, having previously been a judo competitor (black belt). In four years as an amateur he won the Italian Championships and the Italian Cup. After passing the featherweight (65 kg) professional test in 2016, he currently has a record of 14-4-1 with 6 knockouts and 2 submissions. With Tuesday’s victory, he made it three straight wins, the last two by finishing, and some of them came against former UFC players. Last year he lost on points to the more experienced Frenchman Yves Landu at Bellator Milan. He also fought with Cage Warriors and Brave CF. For two years he has been preparing his matches in the legendary SBG in Dublin, Conor McGregor’s gym. A decision that seems to give his career the right turning point, not just technically. So much so that when asked about the contacts between his manager and the UFC, he replies: “My manager and John Kavanagh (SBG head coach) have stayed in the Emirates and I know they will talk to the right people.” About that Furthermore, in the press conference before my match, the local journalists spoke as if it was already certain that Al Qaisi would play the next match in the UFC. I am very optimistic, in order to participate I would also take a last minute call, as was the case with this match in Abu Dhabi, which was only given to me three weeks in advance, which is very little in MMA. Last minute calls motivate me a lot. Normally the UFC takes into account the handicap presented by the short-term cancellation and still offers you the opportunity for a second fight.”
October 20th – 1:38 p.m
© ALL RIGHTS RESERVED